A friend has recently welcomed a precious new baby girl into the world, so I decided to whip up a pretty but practical present for the occasion - a pair of burpies!
I needed only 1 fat quarter of my top fabric and about the same in terry towelling. I was fortunate to have some organic cotton terry towelling in my stash - perfect for patting delicate little baby cheeks dry.
This isn't a tutorial, so I won't go into too many details about how I made up the burpies. However, I will say that I found the terry towelling suprisingly stretchy, so for the second burpie, rather than cutting the terry towelling piece to size, I cut it out roughly, oversizing it. I then stitched it to the top fabric piece, right sides together, leaving the gap for turning out. Before I turned it out, I trimmed back the terry towelling so I would have nice, non-bulky seams. I think the second method worked better, because I wasn't wrangly stretch terry towelling during the cutting step.
I am hoping to see my friend soon, and I hope she loves the burpies! Most importantly, I hope her little one finds them soft and cuddly.